The Pistons are now on a three game winning streak after beating the Washington Wizards 106-103 on their home court. Another stellar night for the newcomers Charlie Villanueva and Ben Gordon, but it was again Will Bynum who sparked the team when they looked like they were going to fold.
- This one looked like it was going to be a pretty easy win over the injured Wizards when Detroit took the lead early. But one of my favorite non Pistons Earl Boykins, who was playing for the first time this season (a new acquisition for Washington), was on a mission to show his new teammates what he could do. He scored 20 off the bench, getting his team right back in the game by the half.
- 54 points combined for Charlie V and Ben Gordon.
- From what I hear from a few members of team N4S that went to the game, there were plenty of Pistons fans cheering them on in Washington.
- I know many people are putting a mini Sheed label on Charlie V, something I don’t quite agree with (yet), he sure looked a lot like him when he was knocking down threes like they were layups. 12 of his 25 points game from long range. Villanueva added 7 boards, 2 steal and 2 blocked shots before fouling out late in the fourth.
- “It is a good opportunity. It’s an unfortunate situation that our top two players are out (Hamilton and Prince) but no one is going to feel sorry for us so we have to keep playing hard. It creates opportunity for other guys and they are taking on the challenge. I feel like we are going to win games by playing good defense.” Via Pistons.com
- It’s safe to say Charlie V is in a groove and is fitting in just fine with Detroit’s style of play.
- Just 2 from SWEEEEDE (Jerebko), but his hustle and defense does wonders in the starting lineup.
- Rodney Stuckey scored 17 in 44 minutes of play on 5-for 13 shooting with 9 boards, 4 assists and a steal. He turned the ball over 4 times but his help on the boards along with the other guards cemented the Pistons com back win.
- The Wizards may have scored over 100, but do you realize that this Pistons team is 5th in the league in Defense.
- Bynum just doesn’t drive the lane to score you know!
Video Courtesy of The NBA, FSN and The Detroit Pistons
- This team showed heart and determination scrapping out a win after the Wizards took the lead in the fourth quarter. In the past they might have just laid down and took one, but they did everything they could to pull it out.
- Will Bynum put the team on his back in the third quarter and got then right back in it. I know that many of you think I’m on a Bynumite kick, but I’ll stand up to anyone who says it’s not well deserved. We knew what he could do last season, it was just a matter of him getting a chance. Will scored 20 off the bench for Detroit in 31 minutes with 8 boards and 6 assists. Did anyone see him take just about everyone on the Wizards off the dribble last night? He was great last night!
- Hate to say it, but had MC been coaching last night this team probably would have lost.
- My stat of the night, 42 points in the paint for Detroit. I hated the fact that in the past few seasons when we had Sheed and considerable size that we didn’t put up enough easy buckets, they really have surprised me with their work down low.
- The Pistons led early by as much as 13 and the Wizards mounted a 10 point lead late. This one was truly a game of runs, thankfully Detroit went on a big one late in the game to pull it out.
- DNP for Chris Wilcox, who I wish would be contributing more when he gets time on the court. It’s understandable why he’s not playing considering the numbers he’s put up, but he’s got to step it up, we know what he can do.
- Our leading scorer Ben Gorden had another fantastic night leading all scorers with 29. Does anyone even question him when he puts up as shot? It seems like he makes everything he puts up.
- Anybody worried about Jason Maxiell? Our spark plug is loosing his spark. I know he had a nice block the other night, but I’m still waiting for him to be a consistent force the Pistons can count on. Jason played 14 minutes and scored 5 with 4 boards. He needs to start taking after Wallace 2.0.
- DaJuan Summers and Austin Day each logged 4 minutes without scoring.
- Why Ben Wallace ditched his headband early in the game we will never know, but his contributions to this team have surpassed everything this Pistons fans thought he could do. The man had just as many assists (4) as our starting point guard. Take a look at this scrappy assist…..
Video Courtesy of The NBA, FSN and The Detroit Pistons
- Wallace 2.0 finished the game with 5 points on 2-for-2 shooting with 7 boards a steal and 2 blocked shots. Can he play 30 minutes a night all season long is the question.
- Still no timetable on Rip of Tayshaun.
- Bynumite tried to wow the Wizards crowd with another jaw dropping dunk over a big man, but the had to foul him to stop him.
- Kwame Brown had to hear the boos from the Washington crowd. It’s unfortunate but he’s kind of similar to Pistons fans relationship with Darko. Kwame finished with 3 points and 3 boards in 9 minutes.
- Highlights of the game via NBA.com
[flashvideo file=http://nba.cdn.turner.com/nba/big/games/wizards/2009/11/14/0020900136_det_was_1h.nba_nba_576x324.flv /]
- Detroit has another one today against the Mavs and a tough road trip out west this week.
Ben Gordon is a guy who we all know will make tough, clutch shots and that’s part of the big reason we got him. Thus there’s really no batting an eye about his shot selection, which has actually been better than I expected.
There’s still quite a bit of debate on Stuckey as a player, but let me point out that he’s been doing great work in the less glamorous aspects of the game. We’re asking him to play small guard, to play defense on a whole slew of different type of guys. His defense has always impressed me but he’s also getting in there and mixing it up for rebounds.
Those short vids that loop make me dizzy after a while. Should be an interesting game against Dallas. A win could send this team through the stratosphere with confidence after their last meeting with them in the preseason. Dallas looks rough coming in after shooting 4-22 from beyond the arc against Minnesota and not even hitting 90 pts. Cross our fingers and hope we can have the same fortune as Minnesota, playing a team thats off tonight. Our guards will be too much for JKidd and JET, even after playing the night before.
I really hope do well with this West Coast trip coming up. Right now we are last in the division. The Bucks are suprisingly good, even without Redd. Hopefully they cool off, because if not, we will be struggling to make the playoffs.
the next 8 games r against, mavs, lakers, blazers, jazz, suns, cavs, clippers, hawks.
so u c the next 7 of 8 games r against very good teams. so after this stretch if we come out one game bellow .500 i’ll be happy. cuz all these teams r better than us considering the fact that we’ll be w/o rip and tay.
I think the pistons are doing fine for a team that made so many changes and going through adversity without Tay & Rip which says alot about there staff and the players. People forget its only been 9 games and when Rip & Tay get back they give us an extra 25+. As a team they have the shooters(BG,Rip,CV,Stuckey) they have hustle/defenders (Ben, Tay,Jonas,Max, Will B) and the unpredictable (Daye,Kwame,Summers). cant wait to see what they look like all together.
Everyone says that Detroit will be much better when Rip and Tay come back we’ll be much better and even as much i hope we will Im not sure, Bynums minutes will be slimmed down and Bens scoring is gonna go down, but im sure getting Tay back will help because I dont think neither Jerebko or Daye would be able 2 guard Lebron. But im still pleased with how Detroit is playin Defense again. BIG BEN 4 Defensive MVP!
Yay, Finally the media people are realizing how far Jason has slipped these last couple of years!
You mentioned Stuckey’s 4 TO’s, But you conveniently forgot Bynum’s 3 TO’s. Lets be fair here.
Also it should be known, that Bynum’s TO’s were all ones that let Washington back in to the game, in the 2nd and 3rd Quarters. When Bynum came in the game, He ruined the flow we had at the Start of the game.
THO Obviously it should be noted as well, that Bynum did make up for all his mistakes with the way he handled the game in the 4th quarter.
Damn tho, These Pistons are resilient, i thought Washington was going to run a way with it late in the 4th Quarter. Once Rip Returns, We should be pretty damn Good.
i think that jerebko can play the 30 + min a game all season he didnot come from college where they play a short season, he played professionally in euro league so im sure he has the wind and legs for it.