Detroit put an end to Orlando’s seven game winning streak Monday night at The Palace of Auburn Hills by beating the Magic 88-82. Rodney Stuckey led the Pistons, but this was a team effort with everyone contributing. Rasheed Wallace had maybe one of his best defensive games on the season, especially when you consider he was up against a Superman.
- The Pistons are now on a four game winning streak. Sadly, it’s tied for the longest of the season when Detroit started the season 4 and 0.
- Iverson finished with 15 points and another late-game shot to seal the victory with 1:10 left in the game and the Pistons up by 7, 87-80.
- Mannie32 reminds us in the comments that the Pistons are now 7-3 since Mr. McDyess returned to Motown. Maybe he was just what they needed?
- Sheed almost singlehandedly held Dwight Howard to 1 point in the first half. Too bad he came alive in the second.
- 12th tech for Sheed late in the fourth quarter. He made up for it when he nailed a three to make it 82-77. Rasheed finished with 16 points, 3 blocked shots, a steal and 6 boards. Dare I say…..SHEEDTastic?
- This is the kind of game you love to see as a fan. A hard fought, defensive effort with everyone contributing on the floor and an exciting finish. It’s looking better Pistons fans.
- Richard Hamilton sits out with a sore groin and Detroit wins two. I know plenty of you have been talking about the fact that small ball is difficult on this team. Maybe this is just the proof Curry needs.
- UPDATE: Michael Curry re-thinking small ball. and Keith Langlois talks lineup change. (via Mannie32 in the comments)
- Did small ball just die? DBB
- Jason Maxiell steps on the hardwood and this happens. Bucket – Block – Bucket! He played just 16 minutes and scored 4 but he’s like a Red Bull shot to this team whenever he touches the floor.
Courtesy of The NBA, The Detroit Pistons and FSN
- War of the boards won for the first time in a long time. Pistons 43 boards to 36 for Orlando. Especially impressive when you consider who the Magic have down low.
- Pretty scary when McDyess went down in the fourth after a collision going for a rebound. He looked like he was staying down for the count, but that heart just wouldn’t let him when the game was on the line. McDyess got right back up and helped Detroit seal the deal. I bet Dyess is in some pain tomorrow, his ribs took quite a shot.
- “It was horrible—when I was laying on the court, I was just trying to get my breath back,” he said. “It hurt, but I didn’t even think about not coming back. I knew they needed me.” Via Yahoo
- Dave in comments
For those of you who only saw what was on TV: the hit McDyess took was really rough. Afterward, Howard being the veteran that he is really went after him and was banging him around hard. Every time the pistons brought the ball down the court or there was a stoppage in play dice was holding his ribs and grimacing. he may have a heart of a champion but based on what i saw those ribs might keep him out a game or two.
- Dave in comments
- Dyess was 4-8 on the night for 11 points, 5 assists and 8 boards.
- Just 3 turnovers on the night for Detroit.
- The Pistons shot 42% on the night to Orlando’s 40.
- Anything sound familiar in the FSN Highlights of the game?
- Rodney Stuckey once again led the Pistons in scoring with 19 points in addition to 4 assists, 5 boards and just one turnover plus some pretty nice HL’s. He is seriously making a case for himself as a starter in this league and a very good replacement for Chauncey Billups. I’m not ready to say better, just yet.
- Forget the stats, Amir again did more than what was asked of him on court in Rip’s place. Johnson scored 2 points in 19 minutes with 7 boards and 2 blocked shots.
- Though Detroit limited Orlando’s points in the paint in the first half, they ended up with 30 down low. You can’t usually stop Dwight all night.
- “Rasheed was playing great defense, and we were able to contain Dwight,” Curry said. “He still had a big game inside, but we didn’t give him a lot of dunks.” Via Yahoo
- A quiet 16 from Tayshaun Prince who had another solid game and did a nice job defending Turkoglu. Prince logged 43 minutes while grabbing 5 boards and 2 assists to go along with his 16 points.
- 27 threes attempted by Orlando, 11 of which they made. Each one of them seemed to bring them right in the game when Detroit was pulling away.
- This one was tied 12 times.
- A New Years Eve matinee with New Jersey on Wednesday, I smell a little revenge.
pistons to go with a big lineup again (looks like rip will be benched, though i’d prefer AI being benched)… either way, a good decision:
“I know plenty of you have been talking about the fact that small ball is difficult on this team. Maybe this is just the proof Curry needs.”
Once can live and hope right? 😀
i came back from indiana for the holidays, i have league pass so i watch every game, since i was home i picked one game to go to and im so glad it was this one. some of the best pistons basketball ive seen in a while.
for those of you who only saw what was on TV: the hit McDyess took was really rough. afterward howard being the veteran that he is really went after him and was banging him around hard. every time the pistons brought the ball down the court or there was a stoppage in play dice was holding his ribs and grimacing. he may have a heart of a champion but based on what i saw those ribs might keep him out a game or two.
Very fun game to watch. I sure hope that McDyess is alright. I was very happy with Amir’s energy and I’m excited to see that Curry is at least considering bringing Rip or A.I. off the bench. I’d prefer it be A.I. just because I think he fits better with Afflalo and Rip fits better with Stuckey, but I would settle for either of them in the super-sub role.
I think Joe D. should trade RIP
First, HELL NO on the boozer for rip trade rumors. consistantly healthy and productive for constantly injured and non-trustworthy. sounds good to me! (sarcasm).
Next, Sheed for Chandler? HELL to the NALL! not today, not tomorrow… never.
Max produces… period. Play him!
Sheed for Bosh!!!!!!
Arguably one of the best games all year so far. I can’t stress enough how much better they play when Rip and AI are not playing at the same time. I sure hope Curry is paying attention to this and actually does something about it when Rip comes back. Stuckey is turning out to be much better than I ever thought he would be when he was drafted. You keep waiting for him to fall off a little and not have such a good game, but he never does.
At this point you have to ask yourself. Is this team actually getting better? I sure hope so. If they can turn it around and and get one of the top seeds in the East they will have done more than I ever thought they would with AI.
I think we’re going to have to start the “How Many Games Will Rasheed Wallace Miss Due To Suspension?” pool because he picked up his 12 technical of the season last night. 16 is an automatic one game suspension and each tech after is a game. He could conceivably miss 10+ games via techs.
Also, on a side note, out of the the top five teams in the league right now based off standings (Boston, Lakers, Cleveland, San Antonio and Orlando) We’ve been four of them (Boston being the only exception, losing twice). We also beat the Lakers and San Antonio on the road. Pretty impressive for this team. Now that we’re starting to show some consistency, I think we’ll see what this team really is like with The Answer.
ill be there new yrs eve.. 1st row center court with my boy $400.00 a peice thats how i roll hah.
Crap I hope Dyess just got bruised then and nothing cracked. :/ Even so, I’ve bruised my ribs before and yeah, that takes a while to stop bothering you.
GREAT game by the pistons, way to go sheed
hey could any body check out my new Sheed video, heres a link, what do you think:
Tell me something…does everyone feel that AI should be benched just cuz or is it becuz he is the new player and RIP has been here for so long that it only seems right for that to happen? I would guess everyone is thinking the second; that’s the way it looks to me at least. If everyone wouldn’t hate so much on the guy and just leave him alone for once…nevermind that would never happen…people hated AI his whole career why would they stop now?
other than that comment I feel they did a great job last night with a huge win over a great team in orlando. The Magic have a lot of talent over there with Superman and Mighty Mouse(Nelson). Their 3pt capabilities are unreal, but somehow we managed to limit them to just that and end up winning the rebound war which I’m happy about! The Pistons really look to be getting it together although I hope I don’t speak too soon lol 😛
The reason most people (imho) think AI should be benched – and by benched, we mean the Sixth Man role – is because of the matchups. Rip can’t create his own shot very well and we already have Stuckey to drive to the basket. Putting AI on the second unit with Afflalo (who spaces out the D since he can hit the outside shot) makes a lot of sense – just look at their +/- when they play together. That allows AI to play his game and also gives us one heck of a punch off he bench.
Hey nat u should take the time to check out our old friends at the orlando sentinel lol!! they are crying still and consider us their nemisis and still claim they are the better team and they give us too much respect haha they said its because we push and shove and get the lose ball after is why we win.. basicly were cheaters haha i love the orlando sentinel no one crys like them!
Send me the link Steve…the only thing I saw was Dwight saying he gave us too much respect and it cost them.
That paper kills me.
all i gotta say is DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETROIT BASKETBALLL!
ps. Nat that sheed pic rejecting howards shit is sooo illits on my screensaver:)
i think if a.i. comes off the bench, he’ll be more like himself, probably even score the same amount of points too. but i think the small ball should stay the same, but only change wit big players in big teams ex. magic,lakers,celtics,suns,rockets
Yes!!! I’m sooooo glad this was the one game I got to go to this Season! Very exciting.
It was so scary to see McDyess go down. Everyone was cheering for the good effort that got the rebound. Once Dyess was nailed it was silent.
i remember last years new years eve, WE OWNEEDDD
Great game by the Pistons Ecspecially by Stuckey and Sheed.( Love The Defense).But Shooting percentage was horrible. Curry needs to be fired. He left 4 players sitting on the bench with no minutes.Last time I checked they were getting payed, had a Piston jersey on, and came to practice.
Remember when Sheed was talking to the refs after he was called for a foul that Amir committed? That was really funny!
update: detroit news reported dice’s rib x-rays were negative. also quoted him as saying “it’s horrible, i cant bend down”
Whatsittoya, most teams have 2 to 4 players that don’t get any playing time so I don’t think it was that big of a deal.
Johnny, if anything is going to change then AI would be better off the bench because of chemistry. Rip needs a true PG to set up plays he’s used to running and can’t create his own shot. And AI would be great with a second unit that plays at a faster pace. He could get his own whenever he wanted or dump of to shooters or big men for dunks.
Whether it’s Rip or AI though I think they’ll continue to play better and win more games if they’re not playing at the same time so much.
Well I’m guessing it will be RIP whether we like it or not
WOOHOOOOOO!!!! Miami beat up on Cleveland last night and the Celts now lose 3/4(to the Blazers last nite)!!!! Pistons Just gotta keep rolling that’s all guys!