It was a mix of boos and cheers as Ben Wallace was generically announced by Pistons announcer Mason at the Palace Sunday afternoon. There were no familiar gongs or fanfare, as Ben walked out to huddle with his new team before the Detroit crowd for the fist time.
The Bulls were playing a great game, and it looked like they were going to pull the upset, as they led by as much as 16 points in the third quarter. But the Pistons stepped up the defense and sank their shots to climb back and win this one. The game winner was a Chris Webber putback on a Chauncey Billups miss that sealed the deal with 2.2 seconds left on the clock and the score 95-93. The Bulls had a chance to win it on a Ben Gordon three, but it hit the front of the rim and bounced off.
- I am so happy that both of my favorite signs were caught by the cameras.
- The Pistons played horrible in the first half and it took the energy out of the crowd.
- Rasheed Wallace turned an ankle in the third, I am pretty sure he will be fine. Luckily the Pistons don’t have another game until Friday, so he can get plenty of rest.
- Tons of fans had defaced Ben Wallace jerseys in hand.
- The Pistons shot 38% from the floor and the Bulls shot 48%.
- Sheed was 2-for-11 but the two he did make where 3’s when we really needed them.
- Looks like I have to get a tattoo. I knew it was just a matter of time.
- Maxiell was clearly the spark that got things going for The Pistons with 3 blocked shots, 7 rebounds and 4 points in 12 minutes.
- The Pistons had just 9 turnovers to the Bulls 15.
- The Pistons had 12 steals and 9 blocked shots.
- Chauncey and Rip were cold in the first half.
- The Pistons had 21 offensive boards, that was something that kept them in the game.
- Overall the Pistons had 41 boards to the Bulls 45.
- Thayshaun’s Reggie Miller block in the closing minutes was KEY… You could see him coming from down the court. Tay put his head down, put on that gas and you just knew he was going to block Luol Deng.
him. (I didn’t see who it was he blocked can anyone help me?)
- The fans booed Ben every time he touched the ball.
- Ben was so frustrated he wasn’t getting the calls he wanted he got called for a tech, which made the fans even happier.
- Ben ended up with 8 rebounds, 2 blocks, 3 steals and 6 points. And a familiar 2-for-8 from the line.
- Chauncey was 3-for-11 from the floor for 15 points. Luckily he was 7-for-7 from the line.
- Tayshaun really stepped up, he played great defense with 3 blocked shots a steal and 9 boards. He also dumped in 14 points, though he missed 2 critical free throws with seconds left in the game that made my stomach drop.
- Rip got hot in the second half and was the Pistons leading scorer with 22 points. The man never stopped running the entire game.
- Sheed tried to give Ben a red headband before the game.
- How about C-Webb?
- I was really proud of the way the Pistons fought back to take this game back.
- The Ben Gordon three at the end of the game looked really close, can you imagine if it would have went it?
- Flip Saunders just reached 100 wins, quicker than any coach in Pistons history.
- Speaking of Flip, he was pretty heated all game.
- Scott Skiles was screaming the whole game, he got a tech for it.
- Chris Webber was fantastic in todays win. Not only did he score the winning basket but he had 21 points, 9 rebounds and three steals. Think he was sending a message to Ben?
“As soon as we walked in the front door the lady made us show her our signs and she said “No way, you can’t bring those in here.” I said “you’ve got to be kidding me….why? “….Because it was demeaning to another player. So my husband and a friend of mine took them out the door and into another entrance and the guy let them in.
Meanwhile, the rest of us went and stood in line to show them our tickets. We get to the front, the guy says “I can’t let you in with that shirt on because it’s derogatory to a player.” I just stood there and said this is ridiculous. He went and got his supervisor and then after waiting 5 minutes for this dude to come check us out he decided it would be ok if I came in! Are you kidding me?! What’s the big deal??? We went to Chicago dressed like this and nobody said a word! Anyhow, my bubble was burst after all that, but the game was still a lot of fun. Especially since we sat next to Chicago fans wearing Wallace jerseys. “