The Pistons once again let a fourth quarter lead slip away that led to a too-easy Calderon layup that sent the game into overtime. Detroit pulled away with a 9-0 run to begin OT, but Marion’s free throw pulled Toronto within 97-94 with 52 seconds left. Rodney Stuckey turned the ball over on the other end, but with Antonio McDyess on the bench after fouling out…Jason Maxiell saved the day.
Final Score – Pistons 99-95 OT
- Turnovers! A miserable 18 for Detroit on the night.
- When Sheed is out, plenty of paint points are given up. Toronto scored 48 down low.
- How about Arron Afflalo who twice hit HUGE (3 point) shots to help the Pistons in this one. After a Pistons timeout, Hamilton found Arron Afflalo for a three pointer from the corner, giving Detroit an 88-84 lead. From virtually no playing time, to solid go-to guy.
- I just like saying Pops Mensah-Bonsu. In fact I think I may just start using it as a part of my everyday vocabulary. Now I just have to think of the meaning to give to it.
- Detroit shot 49% on the night to Toronto’s 40%.
- Detroit caught a break when recently hot Raptors center Andrea Bargnani left in the first quarter with flu-like symptoms and did not return.
- Did Rip and Rodney just switch positions? Another career night for Rip Hamilton with 16 assists.
- “I just told myself to keep trying to make plays, not just for yourself but for your teammates, and I thought guys did an excellent job of knocking down shots,” Hamilton said. Via The Detroit Free Press
- Rip did lead the Pistons with 24 but he had an awful shooting night going just 8-for-26. He did have another career assist night, but 6 turnovers and 8 against the Knicks, that has to stop.
- Hoops Addict was in the locker room post game with Detroit. Though Ryan touched on something we have been talking about for what seems forever, he did mention to me that he caught Mr. Blaha in the bathroom making sure his locks look perfect on the air.
- Rip did start to get hot in OT and jump started the team to a 9-0 run.
- Another DD for Antionio McDyess who quite frankly is the MVP of the season for Detroit. Dyess put up 16 with 13 boards and was probably robbed on the Tayshaun putback that may have won the game for Detroit. Looked close but off the cylinder it was if you ask me.
- NBA TV Highlights of the Game.
- Do you realize Rip has been putting up career numbers since he was put back in the starting lineup? 30 assists in two games….move over Isiah.
- Jason Maxiell 16 points on 8-for-9 shooting, while saving the game with the block and the jam in OT. I questioned him starting, but he did more than fine. He added 6 boards, a steal and 2 blocks on the night. A +14 for the game for the Baby Eater!
- “I thought Max’s energy was off the charts,” Curry said. “I thought our guys didn’t have their legs tonight (second straight overtime game), but Max and Arron Afflalo really gave us a lift.” Via The Detroit News
- Stuckey scored 17 in 40 minutes with 4 assists, 5 boards and 3 turnovers. I know he’s learning, but is it just me or do the turnovers he does pick up come at the worst times?
- Tayshaun Prince, 11 points on 5-14 shooting with 8 boards, 4 assists, a blocked shot and a takeaway.
- Antonio McDyess has played 89 minutes the last two games.
- We are mourning the passing of a great man so I did my best to show that we miss him here at N4S with the ribbon at the top of the page. He was a class act and a Champion of a man that left one heck of a mark on the World. Mr. Davidson will be missed.
- A very fitting and touching comment that holds true for me from Benjo in the comments “One of my only wishes in my lifetime is to be able to make the world a better place than it would have been without me. I know you don’t like accolades but YOU ARE MY HERO, Mr. D. Rest in Peace and God bless you and your family.” Indeed, he did leave the world a better place.
UPDATE “All details are not known, but it’s safe to say that Bill Davidson’s wife, Karen, will succeed him as owner of the Pistons, according to Palace Sports and Entertainment president Tom Wilson” Via The Detroit Free Press