edt here. Detroit wins by (looks at score) 117 Detroit, 99 Cleveland.
Nat is taking a vacation. Sitting on the beach. Sipping Mai-Tai’s watching the sunset. Cell phone turned off. A big floppy hat — you get so pale in Detroit in the winter, need to protect the complexion. She picked a good time. Right now the airplane disaster which has been the Detroit Pistons for the past four years is in a holding pattern, as we wait for a new captain to get helicoptered on board. Jose Calderon promises to be the first point guard we have had since Billups. But apparently USA is worried this Canadian is here to steal our jobs so we have to wait for his work visa. By the time it arrives Nat will be back, tanned and refreshed and ready to give us her take on the new look Pistons.
- But for tonight we played the Cavs. Starting lineup we had Stuck in for Prince, moved Singler over to the SF and for the first quarter we ran and ran. We ran like we have never been able to run with Prince on the team, who no matter how good he is, Prince is an I’m sorry an extra-large serving of molasses. Efficient molasses but still. Watching an uptempo game like this is fun. Of course this lineup is normally bad for Stuckey he doesn’t have the ball in his hands, reduces his effectiveness but the good thing is his efficiency seems to be a better with this setup, 14 points in greater than 50% shooting. Or it could be the Cavs are awful.
- There was certainly a battle, man to man, Kyrie against Knight, both going straight to the rim against each other. The difference is this Cav’s team is terrible. So Irving got no help. And this pistons team is gearing up for that 8th playoff slot. There is just no way the Cavs could win this game with attitudes like that. And Brandon took him to the cleaners too. Brandon had 20 points Irving a mere 14. Knight had 10 assists TWICE as many as Irving. Really outplayed him tonight.
- Recently the big penguin Andre Drummond is hearing comparisons about his game and the greatest center of our generation, Shaq. Love to see how humble he still is. Everyone loves the big penguin. Bynum and Drummond are awesome together, they trust each other. And the usual assortment of Bynum Drummond dunks. However, Drummond with reduced minutes here, but I’m happy with this decision by Frank, because Drummond is our Death Star, we didn’t need to play him huge minutes tonight. I think if the Cavs had challenged us we would have played him more than 18 minutes. The Big Penguin had 4-4 shooting with a mere 5 rebounds.
- With less Prince, we got to see a bit of Jerebko and some more of English. English is really just not ready for the NBA, needs more D-league, more summer league, 15 minutes for English. Jerebko needs his shot to go in, simple as that, until it does, or until he stops doing to Frank (come on Jerebko quit eating Frank’s donuts) it looks like he will be limited from here on out. 6 minutes for Jerebko.
- I do have to be honest I didn’t keep track of this cavs team other than to watch Kyrie because without “Sideshow Bob” Verajao this team has Kyrie and . . . are looking at a #1 draft pick that’s about it.
- It was kind of nice watching the cavs with this 2013 Piston’s team. Not much to worry about, we are just too much better right now. Relaxing even. Certainly if you felt thirsty no need to wait for a time out.
- Charlie is a funny guy he’s great at the three-point but 30 something percent at the free throw line. Forget hack a penguin, hack Charlie V, it’s way better.
- There was a Middleton and Kravtsov sighting in garbage time.
- Singler had an absolutely terrific game. His shot went in and because it went in he just kept shooting all night, 9 for 17, that’s Prince efficiency.
- Bynum was super efficient tonight. Bynum tends to play “hero ball” when we are behind (one thing I hate about his game) but when we are ahead Bynum is happy to create and only take good shots, 4-5 shooting, and 8 assists in only 15 minutes of play.
- Did you see the BYNUMITE February Schedule Wallpaper?
- Check out the highlights over a NBA.com
- It’s nice to be on vacation. But even nicer to be able to relax when you watch the Piston’s cruise to victory against the worst team in the NBA.