Sunday evening’s game against the Warriors was one the Pistons were hoping to put away. Well it didn’t matter that Golden State on the second game of back to back or that their star point guard Stephen Curry hasn’t played in quite some time. Golden State took it to Detroit 99-91 despite another big night from Greg Monroe.
- The Pistons hand Golden State their first road win. That’s just the second time in 17 meetings.
- 22 Points for Monta Ellis and 24 points for the Warriors David Lee. Despite the 24 points, Lee had his streak of double-double’s snapped.
- Austin Daye He went 1 of 5 from the floor and passed up some other open shots while scoring just 3. Daye has missed all 13 of his 3-point attempts this season after shooting 40.1 percent from long range last season. During a critical stretch early in the fourth quarter when Golden State , leading by five after three periods, stretched its lead to nine points Daye missed three shots, including two from the 3-point arc. At this point I don’t thing the Pistons coaches know what to do with him to get him out of this funk. Maybe they should think about lowering the net like we used to do in our driveways. Can you image an almost 7 foot tall Daye shooting on a adjustable basketball goal like it was a nerf setup?
- I hate to keep beating a dead horse, but with Villanueva, Wilkins and Bynum out and he’s still only getting minutes out of desperation for a body on the floor and he can’t even show a glimpse of a game…what’s next for Austin?
- Nice to see Tayshaun put up numbers for the first time this season. Detroit really needed him to step up his game, especially with Wilkins out and Daye doing less than nothing. Prince with 20 points on 8-for-15 shooting with 7 boards, a blocked shot and an assist.
- Might as well just start fitting Greg Monroe for his All Star jersey right now. Another big game from Monroe who led the Pistons with 25 points, 8 boards, one assist and a steal. The stat I like most is 13-for-14 from the line. Finally a big man who makes his free throws (sorry Big Ben.)
- VOTE MONROE
- A nice game for Stuckey, who added 14 points and 6 assists in 26 minutes off the Pistons bench.
- Ben Gordon played a decent game for him with 15 points on 6-for-12 shooting with 6 assists, a steal and just one turnover. If he gives the Pistons similar numbers every game, maybe we can claim he’s out of his funk. If not, I would be much happier with Stuckey and Knight starting and Gordon off the bench.
- Brandon Knight with 8 points, 5 assists and a board in 39 minutes. Again, he’s still learning and you can see the progress, especially against the Bobcats when turned the ball over a whopping ZERO times.
Highlights via Pistons.com
- This one was tied 8 times with 8 lead changes.
- Proof the Pistons need a big man, 48 points in the paint for the Warriors.
Lawrence Frank: “At times, it’s going to be disjointed, That’s why, defensively, we have to tighten up the bootstraps. At home, you can’t allow a team to shoot 52 percent. At times, we’re going to run out of points. That’s when we have to dig that much deeper on the defensive end and know we have to make teams play against a set defense.”
Greg Monroe: “I think we’re getting a little bit better at accomplishing our goals. Eventually, hopefully we don’t have those (bad moments), but I think right now, these past couple games, we’ve been better at not letting those moments last for a long time without playing with a lot of effort.”
- A day off for Detroit and then Tuesday night in Houston.