43 point 2nd quarters don’t happen often for any NBA team, and when they do they often lead to convincing wins.
When you’re ahead by 25 points mid-way through the 3rd quarter, you assume you’re going to win. The other team usually throws in the towel and plays their bench. It’s a time where Darko Milicic used to see playing time for this team, back in the 2004 championship season.
No lead is safe with this Pistons’ team. I can break out the thesaurus all I want to look for ways to describe last night’s 120-116 loss to the Raptors… but I’ll put it this way: I’ve never been more embarrassed to be a Piston fan in my life, until last night.
Now that that’s out of the way, how about some highlights?:
- Hey Coach Kuester, what’s the point of starting Jason Maxiell if he’s only going to play 9 minutes?
- Oh and while I have your attention Coach – why does Ben Gordon only play 18 minutes last night?
- Ben Wallace with a career night: 23 points (including a 3 pointer!!!) to go along with 14 rebounds.
- Rodney Stuckey is improving, albeit slower than we’d all like to see, he poured in 23 points on 8-17 shooting with a career high 12 assists.
- Jerryd Bayless wins the nightly “Guy you never heard of before, but the Pistons made him look good” award – 31 points on 10-12 shooting (nice defense Stuck).
- Why is Ben Wallace playing 39 minutes when Greg Monroe is available?
- Richard Hamilton – 32 minutes. Ben Gordon – 18 minutes. Something’s wrong with this picture.
- Question for Mr. Dumars: Are we rebuilding or trying to win now? Austin Daye – 4 minutes, Greg Monroe – 24 minutes, Charlie V – 22 minutes.
- Tracy McGrady, who has been playing good as the Pistons’ backup PG only played 9 minutes.
- Leandro Barbosa with 22 points in only 27 minutes.
- Does this Dunk from Will Bynum make you feel better? I didn’t for me after this one.
- 13,000+ fans saw this game live and in person – do they get refunds? That’s dedication if you ask me. Pistons v. Raptors on a Saturday date night?
- No surprise here: Richard Hamilton with a team worst -12 +/-
- I would bet one of my paychecks that Austin Daye would score more than 12 points in the 37 minutes that Tay got.
- Assistant Coach Brian Hill is a well respected coach in the league, and has coached a few successful NBA teams in his career. (hint hint)
Not much else I can say. There is absolutely no excuse for this to happen. It happened earlier this season when the Pistons lost a double digit lead to the Bulls in Chicago. These 2nd half collapses are becoming a habit for this team.