A week ago, no one was sure how this west coast trip would turn out, but I’m sure more predicted more lows than highs considering the team’s 0-5 start to the season.
Well, the Pistons beat the Kings Sunday night in Sacramento 100-94 to earn at the very least a split of the four game road swing, that concludes Monday in Oakland versus the Golden State Warriors.
The boys in blue were led by Rodney Stuckey’s 17 points and seven assists. He also seems to be finding his niche’ as the team playmaker.
Ben Gordon scored 16 off the bench, eight in the fourth quarter including a three-point dagger with 23 seconds remaining to put the game out of reach.
Sacramento was led by former Purdue Boilermaker, Carl Landry’s 19 points and 8 strong rebounds. Rookie DeMarcus Cousins, whom the Pistons had coveted in last June’s NBA Draft, had a rough night with picking up fouls, while scoring six points and grabbed eight rebounds but committed six turnovers and picked up a technical foul after disagreeing with an offensive foul call.
Last year’s Rookie of the year, Tyreke Evans scored 20 points and Luther Head added 13 off the bench.
The Pistons could never run and hide from the Kings only leading by as much as eight, Sacramento stayed in the game on the strength of their offensive rebounding.
Detroit has now won two straight and four of their last five.
Road trip concludes Monday night at Oracle Arena against Golden State.
- Jason Maxiell started in place of Austin Daye, who didn’t play.
- Rookie Greg Monroe scored six points and pulled down eight rebounds in 15 minutes.
- Tracy McGrady is looking more like an asset lately.
- Rebound war lost 41-37, 18-8 on the offensive side.
- Ben Wallace grabbed 10 rebounds; Rip Hamilton scored 13 points in only 21 minutes.
- Tayshaun Prince is proving to be more valuable these days.
- Charlie V scored only 11, but his defensive effort has improved.
- Anyone notice the Ben Gordon skip step after he made the clutch three in the closing minute?
Highlights via NBA.com
[flashvideo file=http://nba.cdn.turner.com/nba/big/games/kings/2010/11/14/0021000140_det_sac_recap.nba_nba_576x324.flv /]