In a game where the final score was not as bad it could’ve been, the Boston Celtics beat the Detroit Pistons 109 – 86 in a game that proved exactly where the Pistons are right now as a team.
This is a mediocre team right now that is lacking heart and drive to fight through some early season adversity to get to their first win. The roster, as Nat and I have been saying all offseason, is unbalanced and full of talent but none of them have stepped up and taken the leadership role that’s required of a good team. I could rail on all day about this but, I’ll re-cap the game:
- Rajon Rondo was the best player on the court tonight and proved it by toying with the Pistons defense to the tune of 17 assists in 36 minutes of play. Sure, he’s the point guard for the Celtics so he’s the main distributor BUT, his 0 turnovers proved not only did the Pistons not play defense but that he was making all the right moves.
- Charlie Villanueva finally earned the right to talk tough about his opponent as he pulled down 7 rebounds to go with his 17 points off the bench.
- Rodney Stuckey, who had been playing so well coming into the game, reverted back to his 2009 form by not being able to finish at the rim or hit a jumpshot consistently as he finished 6-15 from the field and had 15 points to go with only 3 assists.
- As Nat mentioned, KG and Charlie Villanueva got into it a little bit last night, and both received technical fouls in the 4th quarter. You can see the re-cap of what Charlie says happened here.
- Since we’re talking about technical fouls, a member of “Team Boney” in one of the Need4Sheed Fantasy Basketball leagues received one last night. Glen Davis was called for a technical foul in the 1st quarter after being called for fouling Ben Gordon.
- This team is getting good at finger pointing. Coach Kuester says someone needs to step up, Tayshaun says someone needs to coach better, I say be a man and do your job.
- As much as I hate to say it, I think I’d take Rondo over any PG in the league right now. Sure he’s playing with good talent around him but he’s made up for his other shortcomings by becoming a better floor leader and forcing those around him to be better. (Even though he does look like Earthworm Jim)
- One good thing to come out of last night’s game was the fact that Greg Monroe got some decent playing time for the first time in his young career. He did not score a basket, but he had 10 rebounds in 18 minutes of action.
So, the re-cap is short I know it is. I don’t think any of us want to watch a replay of last night’s game, let alone discuss it in great detail. I’m sure I’ll be railed against for thinking Rondo is a good point guard and people will try to tell me it’s because he’s playing with good players, which to an extent is true.
The fun doesn’t stop tonight either because after last night’s debacle in Detroit, the Pistons get to travel to Atlanta to play against a Hawks team that has started off the season 3-0 under new coach Larry Drew. The Pistons will likely be without Richard Hamilton, Will Bynum and now Tracy McGrady who came down clutching his knee last night.