Pulling for Antonio McDyess

Antonio McDyess has been a favorite of mine since he donned a Pistons uniform. That didn’t change when he switched to the silver and black of San Antonio. Dyess is just a stand up nice guy who has a heart of a champion…but with no ring.

I will never forget how he took that loss to San Antonio in the finals. Sitting there heartbroken on the bench when the Pistons let that trophy slip right out from under their fingers. Most people don’t know he didn’t even go to the locker room that night, he headed straight to his car in his uniform and drove home. That’s how hard it hit him.

His quest for a Championship continues, and I for one am pulling for him… No matter where he may be.

Ice4Dyess Antonio McDyess

If you missed his interview with Greg Kelser before the Pistons game on Wednesday night, take a moment and watch it. If you can’t feel his emotion when he talks about Detroit then there is something wrong with you. He almost brought me to tears.

Get the Flash Player to see this content.

I will also never forget what happened when I took my nephew to the Pistons Season Ticket Holders Night and asked Dyess to take a picture him.

Get the Flash Player to see this content.

23 Responses to "Pulling for Antonio McDyess"
  1. JoannePistonFan says:

Love, love, LOVE this!!! Ice4Dyess! :)

2. Courtside says:

Yeeeah, Joanne! Ice4Dyess, baby!! :D I adore him. He is so humble and deserving.

3. Shari says:

Got a lil misty eyed myself during his pregame interview w/Kelser. What a classy guy, who’ll always be loved in the city of Detroit. INDEED…..ICE4DYESS!!!!!!

4. Of all the things of the last decade the team’s been through, the worst thing to me is the fact we never were able to win a title with Dyess. No player deserved it more than him, nobody played harder and took each loss more personally. I hope he gets his elusive Ice this season!

5. Now That was awesome! Absolutely classic! :-D

6. S.J. says:

Wow..

Any chance that he might come back here for his last season before retirement??

Last Season He was our best player in the court..

We Love you Dyess.. Thank you for all you give us.

7. #1 pistons fan says:

man y u let mc mc mc mc dyesssssss gooo he was gd he would of had helped now

8. Packey says:

How dare ‘Dyess act like he doesn’t know Need4Sheed!

Classy tribute, Natalie. I’m on board with you.

9. Bugs says:

I love Dyess and all Nat but i wasn’t happy with him for what he said about Joe breaking up the team the way he did. All of us were upset when Joe traded Chauncey and Ben left to Chicago but our window was closing and it needed to be done (re-building on the fly that is). We might not look like much now but if we get a good draft pick next year and swing a trade then 2 years of being bad really isn’t that bad a thing. You just wait and see what the Celtics end up looking like in 2 years. They will be old and exactly where we were at 2 years ago…time waits for no man!

10. Diogenes says:

Dyess is the man. I hope they pull it off but I think he just got on board the other Atlanta Braves of the NBA – there is no way the Spurs will upset the Lakers. The Spurs are old and that is what Joe was hoping to circumvent. He once pointed to the Spurs as the example of continuing excellence that he wanted to emulate but he saw the Achilles heel before they have and changed his mind – hence the C-Billups trade. The Pistons will win a ‘Ship before the Spurs do again because Joe D knows that second place is the first loser.

11. daddy says:

Dyess has the best mentality out there. He will do anything to win and if u have a roster full of people like that there is no stopping you. He doesnt care about stats mins or coming off the bench. ANYTHING TO WIN. That is how every player should play. Im glad he came to SA. Im from san antonio and i like watching the spurs play. Everytime i watch games i tell my friends ur lucky u got him instead of sheed. He will do anything it takes to win. I hope dyess gets his god knows he deserves it. The D will always be his home though. ANother good thing Joe D has done by bringing someone as loyal as him.

12. Ralphie says:

I have to agree with Diogenes. I think the spurs are a great team but their time has passed. Yes, we do have a good opportunity coming our way in the near future. Dice will be home watching us win around that time.
    Oh….They said the end of the world is coming in 2012 so we better snap it up…..

13. Amer ican Prince says:

You gotta love Dyess for his game and heart, but dang that dude could also dress pretty good, I want his shirt in that first video and his hat and shirt in the second one too.

Remember how there was that Rip interview talking about “Body” wasnt anything but a Detroit Piston? Well I think the same is true for Dyess. He aint no San Antonio Spur, he’s a detroit Piston with a Spurs jersey on right now

14. edt says:

the spurs are too old. It’s really not fair. Sheed should have gone to the spurs where he can be lazy and retire on one of the oldest teams in the NBA. At this point in his career when sheed bitches at the officials it sounds more like an old guy telling the kids to get off his grass than something that should actually give him a technical.

mcdyess should have gone to the celtics and won himself some ice with one of the most energetic and fiercely defensive teams in the nba not sheed.

billups might get himself a ring too, ‘melo is a superstar on a good team, and growing every year.

Oh, irony.

I would say there is zero chance to beat the lakers this year, but kobe could always get in a car crash and break both his legs (not that I wish that on him of course), just saying that the way the lakers is built right now, they can’t win if kobe gets injured.

15. RIV says:

Not to change the subject, but coming out of Detroit I heard on the radio that A. I. was throwing a party at a Detroit club tonight. If that was McDyess I’d even go. Why would he do this and what real Piston fan would even dream about going?

16. AC Unit says:

Thanks for this post, I am rooting for Dyess! I really don’t like the Spurs but at the rate were going, might as well pull for someone. Lets win some games DETROIT!

17. Lori says:

It’s like an optical illusion! You keep thinking Dice is wearing the wrong uniform and heading the wrong way on the court. I felt the same way about Big Ben and also Chauncey. Thankfully, Ben’s back!

It seems like every elite team has gone through an awful phase right before they were on top again. Think of the Celtics or the Lakers. We’ll be cleaning clocks again sooner than anyone thinks.

18. Amer ican Prince says:

you know id love to see your top 10 pistons videos that you recorded natalie, a little late for the news year but i think it could be cool, you have awesome videos.

19. Tycoon says:

I would love to see Chauncey or Dice eliminate Kobe in the playoffs. Who says Lakers are unbeatable? You’ll never know.

20. Ice4Dyess says:

Glad my choice of name is getting recognized. Dice may not be a hall of famer but he’s one of my favorite players of all time.

21. KWAPT says:

Very cool guy! Look forward to hearing you tonight on Celtics Late Night Show. -KobeWearsAPurpleThong

22. Nelia Mcghie says:

I enjoy seeing all the different styles of 2012 mayan prophecy, I believe one good realization that has come of all of this, even if nothing materializes is that it has opened our minds to the possibility that we may not be here forever and that we need to hold dear the lifetime we have.

23. Nice pics! I like your blog!

Oct-30       102-113