When I was given the opportunity to choose a game to re-cap I naturally chose this game against the Pacers, at home, to write about. Imagine my happiness in ultimately choosing this game, as it was also the first game after beating the hated Celtics (and Sheed!) just 2 nights earlier. This game had it all: No names like Luther Head getting into Richard Hamilton’s head, Danny Granger talking trash and chest bumping rookie (Sweed!) Jonas Jerebko, and a shouting match between co-captain Tayshaun Prince and coach John Kuester. Let’s look at the recap:
- Will Bynum and Ben Gordon were once again held out of the lineup, with injuries. We need these guys back ASAP… I believe that had they been available, Indiana’s reserve PG and SG would not have been able to stick with either of them.
- The rotation for this team continues to baffle me. One night after hanging with Rajon Rondo, one of the best PGs in the NBA, Austin Daye was relegated to garbage time against one of the worst teams in the Eastern Conference.
- The game was close for roughly 6 minutes in the first quarter, when both teams struggled to keep possession of the ball. With 6 and a half to go in the first quarter, the Pacers put it into overdrive and cruised to an easy victory. Simply not acceptable.
- Detroit shot just 35 of 85 (41%) from the field for the game. A major culprit of the poor shooting, Rodney Stuckey (3/13) and Tayshaun Prince (3/12). You can give Tay a break because of his time away but Rodney needs to pick and choose his spots better and not force the action so much.
- Jonas (Sweeeeed!) Jerebko was the Pistons’ star of the night: 14 points (7/12 shooting) and 7 rebounds in 33 minutes. He also was able to stay in front of Danny Granger as best he could by only allowing him to shoot 5/12 from the field. Downside to his aggressiveness? Granger was 14/14 from the FT line.
- Tayshaun, c’mon man… it’s one thing to be part of the contingent to undermine the previous head coaches but to get in a shouting match with the coach with 7 to go in the game? Not a good look man.
- This Pacers team could’ve easily been beaten had we put a low post scoring threat down on the block against Troy Murphy and Roy Hibbert. Both men are not known for their defensive prowess, and also it would’ve put their main big men in foul trouble.
- Another positive? Detroit outrebounded the Pacers 45-38 BUT, when you shoot only 41% from the field you will have a lot of second chance opportunities (16 offensive rebounds).
- Welcome back…Kwame? Kwame Brown saw some floor time for the first time in almost 2 weeks. He scored 3 points on 3/6 from the FT line with 2 bebounds(!)
- DaJuan Summers also saw some garbage time minutes and played as well as expected when you’re down 20+ by shooting 1/3 with 1 steal and playing at a +9 +/-.
- 5 Indiana players scored 14 points, or more. 3 Detroit players with 14 or more.
- Losing to this Indiana team, at home, is just not acceptable guys. Especially coming off the high of beating the Celtics… C’mon guys, let’s pick it up huh?
- Will Tay and Coach Kuester’s falling out on the bench result in any disciplinary action, or what most Pistons fans are hoping, trading Tay and pieces for a quality big man?
- When your team sparkplug says:”We just didn’t play with any energy,” Jerebko said. “You saw it. Boston and tonight were like night and day.” – you know that it just wasn’t meant to be. This is a team in transition, a team that has to want to win. No wins are going to come easy for you anymore guys, 2004, 2005, 2006 are all gone… the Bad Boys are not walking through that door! Time to pick it up, and bring back the nastiness that this Pistons franchise has been known for.
- Rip? I don’t mind when you get technicals for getting in the face of Ron Artest or Kobe Bryant… but trash talking to… Luther Head (0/7 FG, 0/3 3pt, 15 minutes)?? You just made his entire career by letting him get in your head. Luther Head? Seriously? Luther Head?? At least talk trash to Dahntay Jones, someone who actually annoys his opponents.. but not Luther Head man. Look at that stat line of Luther Head… look at it again… yeah, 0 for 7 from the field in 15 minutes. Is HE really worth it?
- I don’t understand our rotations… Charlie V plays 20 minutes, Austin Daye plays 8 minutes, Kwame plays 7 minutes… Wilcox plays 11 minutes… The Pacers have 2 legit big men (Murphy and Hibbert), I don’t see why Kwame doesn’t get burn against a guy like Hibbert or why Villenueva isn’t out there more against Murphy.
- It would’ve been nice to see Will Bynum matchup against Earl Boykins… let’s hope Bynum comes back soon. I miss seeing actual highlights during the game and ESPN re-caps.
I want to thank Natalie for giving me this opportunity… I’ve been a fan for a long time. It’s a shame I picked such an awful game to re-cap but, this was fun. This team is going to have his ups and downs, you just don’t expect to lose to the Pacers in such an EPIC FAIL way. Yes, our records in the standings show the Pistons only .5 games up on the Pacers in the Eastern Conference standings but the talent, on paper, shows that our team is better. I don’t blame injuries for wins or losses BUT I’ll go out on a limb here and say that Bynum and Gordon would’ve torched Indiana’s backcourt reserves. You win some, you lose some. You just don’t expect to lose some against the league’s worst teams… (To see the other side of the WIN for the Pacers, go to: http://www.eightpointsnineseconds.com/ – Jared Wade does a great job at what he does, and must have extreme patience to be a fan of the Indiana Pacers)