The Piston will gladly take the 94-98 grind out win against their former coach Flip Saunders and his Washington Wizards. Their two game winning streak isn’t something that’s going in the record books, but the battered and bruised Pistons need every win then can get.
- The Pistons did a great job moving the ball, it was almost like the ghost of Larry Brown was in the building….three passes before they shoot. The movement, from the bigs and the guards, made for easy shots all night long.
- A fired up Charlie Villanueva, who still doesn’t seem like he’s used to the mask, scored 18 points on 8-19 shooting with 5 assists, 4 boards in 36 minutes. His four point play gave the Pistons a boost right when they needed it.
- Detroit did a better job with the turnovers, just 11 opposed to the 21 they had on Friday night.
- Another good night in the paint for Detroit with 38 points down low.
- Board war tied at 41.
- Great night for Detroit’s bench who outscored the starters 55-44.
- Earl Boykins always amazes me. Guy can shoot and with his size I’m so surprised his shot doesn’t get blocked more. He’s like a Micro Machine basketball player.
- Need4Swede: Jonas is putting up double-doubles and making circus shots…check it out.
- Jerebko finished the game with 10 points, 11 boards, a steal and an assist in 38 minutes on the floor. Plus a few more fans with every game he plays. On another note, my SWEEEEEDE chant at games when he’s got the ball isn’t catching on just yet, can you please pass the word to whoever you know is going to the game or if you are yourself, please join me…people are looking at me like I think he’s Sheed.
- Jason Maxiell’s playing time is odd to me, one night he’s out there a ton and tonight he plays just 9 minutes.
- Out-blocked again…Pistons with just one block from Ben Wallace all night, while Washington bats the ball away 7 times.
- I wonder if we can get a stat on how many of Rodney Stuckey’s shots get blocked. I bet quite a few less than they used to.
- As for Stuckey’s game against Washington, he was great. Hot early and, had he not been in early foul trouble, he would have led the Pistons by more than just 25 points. Stuck went 9-for-18 with 2 assists, 4 boards a steal, 3 turnovers and some clutch shots down the wire when the Wizards were gaining ground.
- Stucktaular Highlights via NBA.com
- Ben Gordon played just 11 minutes scoring just 5. He didn’t play in the second half, nursing his sore ankle on the bench.
- Say thank you to Austin Daye, who didn’t play in the first half and came out shooting in the second to help the Pistons get on track after leading by just three at the half. Cool hand Daye finished with 11 points, shooting 100% from the field with 2 boards in just 12 minutes of play.
- Auststanding Highlights:
- A bit of a slow night for Ben Wallace who didn’t score, but grabbed 8 boards with 5 assists. Yes, five assists for our very own Defensive Machine.
- Ok, I know we all were like ….seriously, Joe Dumars just signed Chucky Atkins? I eat my words, Atkins is really making the most of his time back in Detroit. Chucky scored 7 with 5 assists in 22 minutes. He gave the Pistons some life, scoring his points early when they couldn’t hit a shot no matter how hard they tried.
- Awful first few minutes of the game for both teams.
- Gotta love holding Gilbert Arenas to just 8 points.
- Highlights of the game via NBA.com
- Mixed reaction by the crowd who really didn’t realize this was Flip Saunders’ return.
- Nice passing from Kwame Brown who scored 4 with 2 assists and 5 boards.
- What’s up with the Thrill, 3-for-12 shooting and he missed some key free throws that the Pistons really needed in the closing minute of the game. Bynum scored 16, but once again isn’t playing like we know he can. I hope his ankle isn’t getting worse.
- Funny story, I overhead some guy tell his friend he was at the game with, “Chucky Atkins must have been really hurt, I haven’t seen him play a lot for us since we won the Championship.” His friend answered, “me neither.”
- Good win for Detroit, who play Allen Iverson in Philadelphia on Wednesday and Chauncey Billups on Thursday at the Palace. That’s going to be something.
- Don’t forget, Need4Sheed and viagogo are giving Pistons tickets away!