“Bill Davidson, Managing Partner of the Detroit Pistons and 2008 Basketball Hall of Fame inductee, has passed away at the age 86.”

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family on this very sad day. He was a innovator that touched many people in more ways in one.  He will be missed.

William Davidson,  A Champion of a Man.

“All details are not known, but it’s safe to say that Bill Davidson’s wife, Karen, will succeed him as owner of the Pistons, according to Palace Sports and Entertainment president Tom Wilson” Via The Detroit Free Press

32 Responses to "RIP Mr. Davidson – Thank You for the Memories and Championships, You will be missed."
  1. Junior says:

WOW…i am pretty bummed about this

2. Amer ican Prince says:

I can’t believe it, even though he was 85 I can’t believe it. Thoughts definitely go out to his family.

Thank you for everything Mr. Davidson. You will be missed

3. jman077 says:

Mr. Davidson was one of the greatest Detroiters ever to live. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family. What he did for this team, and the city of Detroit, will never be forgotten. He is truly one of the best sportsmen of all time.

4. El Patron Himself (Accept no Imitations!) says:

My thoughts and prayers go to the whole Davidson family, especially Mrs. Davidson. It has to be a tough time for anyone whose lives Mr. D touched.

THANK YOU MR. D. YOU BUILT A LEGACY ON OUR DETROIT PISTONS AND YOU’LL BE MISSED. WE’LL NEVER FORGET WHAT YOU MEANT TO THE PISTONS AND ITS FANS.

RIP Mr. D.

5. Danny says:

THANK YOU Mr. Davidson for everything! God Bless your soul you will be missed!

6. You know, you could see that he wasn’t feeling well the past few seasons, but his absence at the games lately was noticeable. It just won’t be the same around that place.

Thank You Mr. Davidson, you have left one heck of a mark on the world. God Bless you.

7. Dominic says:

This is sad. I always thought of Bill Davidson as a staple of this franchise, one that’ll always be there through the bad and good. And now to just hear this news, it’s depressing I’ll admit. God rest your soul Mr. Davidson our prayers are with you and your family.
    Thank you, Thank you for this great franchise

8. willy says:

he built the pistons foundation, and without him we would be nothing THANK U BILL D. RIP

9. Sam says:

Thank you Mr. D for being a gentleman and being one of the best owners of a sports franchise to ever live. I loved it when he said “Bullshit” in 2004 when people told him that his Pistons will never beat the Lakers. RIP and Best Wishes to your family.

10. Jeff says:

Nat, The Freep was wrong he was 86.

A true loss for Detroit, The NBA.. and more

11. El Patron Himself (Accept no Imitations!) says:

Mr. D touched lives, even for those of us who only knew him by name. He built a proud franchise and he helped give us a Palace… If anything, I think other owners should pay tribute to Mr. D but learning from how he managed the team, never putting himself over his players or making himself the center of the universe (Mr. Cuban, here’s looking at you!), honoring the city that gave him everything with a well-run team (Maloof Brothers, here’s looking at you!) and he’d never screw the fan base over in a 1000 years (Mr. Bennett and Mr. Stern, here’s looking at you!).

He was all for giving back to his community, for treating players and fans with the utmost respect and for creating an organization that we can be PROUD of, beyond titles and trophies and victories.

I’ll always be a PROUD PISTONS FAN, no matter their records or their uniforms (ahem, teal?) because I think Mr. D left a very solid foundation for a lifetime!

Once again, RIP Mr. D :(

Let this be the moment where the Whole Team Need4Sheed, the Foreign Legion, and the Piston Nation at large salute our mentor and our hero MISTER BILL DAVIDSON, one of a kind and a true MAN amongst men.

(To all Cavs and Celtics fans… if you REALLY don’t have ANYTHING worth saying about Mr. D, PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS PARTICULAR FORUM… we’re all mourning the death of a great one and we don’t need your hate here… if you want to honor a man whose legacy goes beyond the NBA and the Pistons, your words of encouragement are welcome… just remember that the world doesn’t really spin around LeBron or Garnett)

12. Alwayzreal says:

What a class act……..A true Michigander!!!!

13. Crazyazman says:

Davidson for MVP – Most Valuable Piston RIP

14. Chaldo says:

RIP Mr.D

I was really surprised when I saw it

15. Tim McMillan says:

As a Michigander who had to leave for work it is always sad when a piece of Michigan dies. By “piece” I mean an immutable part of the mitten – like Tiger Stadium, like Mackinac Island, like Mr. D. I am sick with grief about what is happening to Michigan. I want to come home. Rest in piece Mr. D.

16. Tim McMillan says:

As a Michigander who had to leave for work it is always sad when a piece of Michigan dies. By “piece” I mean an immutable part of the mitten – like Tiger Stadium, like Mackinac Island, like Mr. D. I am sick with grief about what is happening to Michigan. I want to come home. Rest in peace Mr. D.

17. Chris says:

God Bless you Sir and may you Rest in Peace.

GBA

18. freeZy says:

Rest in Peace Mr.Davidson and thank you for everything you have done for the piston’s and the community!!!

19. Marcell says:

Thank you Mr. D for making the Pistons what they are today. The best franchise in the league! My wife and I would always look where you sat during the games and it was a great pleasure to see a smile on your face during the games. We all know how much you loved this team and we hope it remains in the direction you lead it. Thanks for everything!

20. Yo says:

OMG. wen i found out my heart like dropped i felt so bad and i was very sad but at least he lived a good life to 86 so rip bill

21. augustslady says:

R.I.P. Mr. Davidson…
    You were a gentlemen and a sweet soul.
    The D will sorely miss you!
    You left this world a better place no legacy is greater then that!
    This old detroiter is hertbroken at the loss of such a beloved friend.
    Didn’t know you personally but felt kindred to you in spirit.
    From one detroiter to the remaining family of an other, thank you for sharing your wonderful family member with us blessings to you all and heartfelt sympathy to you and yours.

22. Richard says:

The last time i saw him at a game was at the ’05 Finals

23. renagle says:

Knowing that he was aged, I am still stunned. I have tears in my eyes for the loss of Mr. Davidson. We as Michiganders were so fortunate to have a man of his caliber amongst us. A class act all the way. He truly was a leader among men, and we can only hope that other NBA owners can learn from the way he did business. Wow. Sad day.

24. Ken says:

RIP.

Our boys will do you proud this year.

25. Dominic says:

I wonder what the Pistons will do to honor Bill Davidson. I hope it’s more than a black stripe on their jerseys, he deserves much, much, more than that.

26. DetroitGirl4life says:

i hope they honor him tmw at the game…RIP MR D…….a true true true class act

27. Will says:

R.I.P. Mr. Davidson… my thoughts and prayers go out to his family…and I’m sure everyone remembers his unforgettable speech at the championship rally in 2004…

28. Benjo says:

One of my only wishes in my lifetime is to be able to make the world a better place than it would have been without me. I know you don’t like accolades but YOU ARE MY HERO, Mr. D. Rest in Peace and God bless you and your family.

29. Patrick says:

RIP… thanks for the many great years!

30. Dana says:

He will be missed. A great loss for Michigan and Detroit as well as the Pistons and Shock. One of the best owners in history-I agree.

31. scot says:

THANK YOU MR D FOR THE MEMORIES. YOU SHOULD MAKE A MR D WALLPAPER

RIP MR D

32. Matt Selke says:

Thank you Mr. Davidson. Thank you.. RIP.

Oct-30       102-113