Detroit put an end to Orlando’s seven game winning streak Monday night at The Palace of Auburn Hills by beating the Magic 88-82. Rodney Stuckey led the Pistons, but this was a team effort with everyone contributing. Rasheed Wallace had maybe one of his best defensive games on the season, especially when you consider he was up against a Superman.
- The Pistons are now on a four game winning streak. Sadly, it’s tied for the longest of the season when Detroit started the season 4 and 0.
- Iverson finished with 15 points and another late-game shot to seal the victory with 1:10 left in the game and the Pistons up by 7, 87-80.
- Mannie32 reminds us in the comments that the Pistons are now 7-3 since Mr. McDyess returned to Motown. Maybe he was just what they needed?
- Sheed almost singlehandedly held Dwight Howard to 1 point in the first half. Too bad he came alive in the second.
- 12th tech for Sheed late in the fourth quarter. He made up for it when he nailed a three to make it 82-77. Rasheed finished with 16 points, 3 blocked shots, a steal and 6 boards. Dare I say…..SHEEDTastic?
- This is the kind of game you love to see as a fan. A hard fought, defensive effort with everyone contributing on the floor and an exciting finish. It’s looking better Pistons fans.
- Richard Hamilton sits out with a sore groin and Detroit wins two. I know plenty of you have been talking about the fact that small ball is difficult on this team. Maybe this is just the proof Curry needs.
- UPDATE: Michael Curry re-thinking small ball. and Keith Langlois talks lineup change. (via Mannie32 in the comments)
- Did small ball just die? DBB
- Jason Maxiell steps on the hardwood and this happens. Bucket – Block – Bucket! He played just 16 minutes and scored 4 but he’s like a Red Bull shot to this team whenever he touches the floor.
Courtesy of The NBA, The Detroit Pistons and FSN
- War of the boards won for the first time in a long time. Pistons 43 boards to 36 for Orlando. Especially impressive when you consider who the Magic have down low.
- Pretty scary when McDyess went down in the fourth after a collision going for a rebound. He looked like he was staying down for the count, but that heart just wouldn’t let him when the game was on the line. McDyess got right back up and helped Detroit seal the deal. I bet Dyess is in some pain tomorrow, his ribs took quite a shot.
- “It was horrible—when I was laying on the court, I was just trying to get my breath back,” he said. “It hurt, but I didn’t even think about not coming back. I knew they needed me.” Via Yahoo
- Dave in comments
For those of you who only saw what was on TV: the hit McDyess took was really rough. Afterward, Howard being the veteran that he is really went after him and was banging him around hard. Every time the pistons brought the ball down the court or there was a stoppage in play dice was holding his ribs and grimacing. he may have a heart of a champion but based on what i saw those ribs might keep him out a game or two.
- Dave in comments
- Dyess was 4-8 on the night for 11 points, 5 assists and 8 boards.
- Just 3 turnovers on the night for Detroit.
- The Pistons shot 42% on the night to Orlando’s 40.
- Anything sound familiar in the FSN Highlights of the game?
- Rodney Stuckey once again led the Pistons in scoring with 19 points in addition to 4 assists, 5 boards and just one turnover plus some pretty nice HL’s. He is seriously making a case for himself as a starter in this league and a very good replacement for Chauncey Billups. I’m not ready to say better, just yet.
- Forget the stats, Amir again did more than what was asked of him on court in Rip’s place. Johnson scored 2 points in 19 minutes with 7 boards and 2 blocked shots.
- Though Detroit limited Orlando’s points in the paint in the first half, they ended up with 30 down low. You can’t usually stop Dwight all night.
- “Rasheed was playing great defense, and we were able to contain Dwight,” Curry said. “He still had a big game inside, but we didn’t give him a lot of dunks.” Via Yahoo
- A quiet 16 from Tayshaun Prince who had another solid game and did a nice job defending Turkoglu. Prince logged 43 minutes while grabbing 5 boards and 2 assists to go along with his 16 points.
- 27 threes attempted by Orlando, 11 of which they made. Each one of them seemed to bring them right in the game when Detroit was pulling away.
- This one was tied 12 times.
- A New Years Eve matinee with New Jersey on Wednesday, I smell a little revenge.